Get outside this Father’s Day!
Posted on: Tuesday June 4th, 2019
Posted by: Lisa Ruscica
This Sunday is Father’s Day. An entire day to celebrate our beloved, dedicated, hard-working dads and role models. Today is the day to let all these men in your life know just how special they are. Within the next few weeks, all of our Kids & Company locations are having on-site celebrations to honour all of the wonderful father figures out there. If you’re looking for another way to make this father’s day one for the books, I’ve got some ideas for you.
I’m not sure about all of you, but I’m in need of some Vitamin D. Why not get outside this Father’s day? Take a much-needed break from computers, tablets and TVs and head outside for the day.
Here are some ways you can get some fresh air and let the dads in your life know just how much you care.
- Plan an outdoor picnic. Go to your local park or backyard with a basket, blanket and delicious foods. Pack your picnic basket with healthy foods (homemade sandwiches, yummy side salads, and fresh-cut watermelon)!
- Hit the park. Go to the park and play a sport. Try kicking the soccer ball around, tossing a mini football, or hitting a home run with a bat. There’s bound to be plenty of laughs and some added endorphins from all that movement,
- Try miniature golfing! This one is fun for the whole family. P.S. let dad win a few holes — he deserves it.
To top off his special day, fire up the grill!
No celebration is complete without amazing, nutritious foods. Host an intimate family BBQ to honour your special dad(s). Contrary to popular belief, a family BBQ doesn’t have to be just hot dogs and burgers! Try barbequing some lean meats, grilled shrimp, corn, tomatoes and even peaches!
Here’s a delicious BBQ dessert idea to try. Trust me, the whole family will love it!
- Cut your peaches into halves and remove the pits.
- To avoid sticking, brush the peaches with olive oil.
- On medium heat, grill the peaches for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the grill and sprinkle with cinnamon and a hint of brown sugar.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream. Yum!
Chef Lisa Ruscica
Chief Food Ambassador