Fun with Cranberries!
Posted on: Wednesday May 7th, 2014
Posted by: Lisa Ruscica
With all the different food trends that come and go, I’m happy to see that cranberries are one that are going to stay for the long haul. Not only are they nutritious, and delicious but they are readily available and combine well with so many different dishes.
Cranberries have sure come a long way since the days when my family used to only have them with turkey dinners during the holidays. Today we can find them dried (isn’t craisins a fun word?), on salads, mixed into rice dishes, in a glaze for fish – the possibilities are nearly endless.
At Kidco Kitchens we’re happy to include them in our granola recipe because they are full of vitamin C and antioxidants.
Why not try making it at home for your family?
Kidco Granola (Serves 6)
What you’ll need:
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- 4 tsp wheat germ
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 ½ tbsp shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
What to do:
- Make sure to wash your hands before you begin.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Combine oats and wheat germ; mix well.
- Add brown sugar, oil, cinnamon and vanilla to a small saucepan; stir and mix well. Brown over medium heat, then pour over dry ingredients. Stir to coat.
- Spread mixture evenly on parchment lined baking pan.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes then stir.
- Continue to bake until crispy and toasted – approx. another 10 minutes.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.
Chef Lisa Ruscica
Chief Food Ambassador