Victoria Day Picnic
I’m so excited for the Victoria Day long weekend coming up May 17-19. It’s such a great opportunity to spend time with the family! My family and I try to always make an effort to do something together.
Some great ideas for family activities are having a picnic or going on a bike ride. Here in Toronto it looks like the weather is going to be sunny, and mild – which is great!
Some great tips for a family friendly outing are:
- Eat a good breakfast before leaving – oatmeal is a great choice!
- Bring sun protection – hats, sunscreen, sunglasses
- Don’t forget the water – remind your kids to drink
- Bring finger foods to eat – sandwiches, cheese and crackers, and pre-cut fruit
- Prepare to clean up; messes happen – wipes, paper towels, plastic bags
This type of outing is easy to do even if your child is really little. Travel to your neighbourhood park, or try one new that’s just a little bit further away.
A great snack to bring along with you is our Kidco Kitchen Trail Mix!
Kidco Kitchen Trail Mix
*Makes 6 Portions
What you need:
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 ¼ cup Shreddies
- 1 ¼ cup Cheerios
- ½ cup raisins
What to do:
- Make sure to wash your hands before you begin.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Toast shredded coconut until brown - approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Turn the coconut over and bake for another 5 minutes. Keep your eye on the oven. Allow to cool.
- Combine remaining ingredients and serve.
- Portion with 1/2 cup per person.
Chef Lisa Ruscica
Chief Food Ambassador